The best way to protect yourself and your loved ones against influenza (flu) is to get a flu vaccine every flu season. Flu is a contagious respiratory disease that can lead to serious illness, hospitalization, or even death. CDC recommends everyone six months and older get an annual flu vaccine.
RAHC has flu vaccine appointments available for patients 6 months and older. Call or text (540) 464-8700 to schedule a flu vaccine appointment.
What are some key reasons to get a flu vaccine?
- Every year, flu vaccination prevents illnesses, medical visits, hospitalizations, and deaths.
- Flu vaccination also is an important preventive tool for people with chronic health conditions. For example, flu vaccination has been associated with lower rates of some cardiac events among in people with heart disease.
- Vaccinating pregnant women helps protect them from flu illness and hospitalization, and also has been shown to help protect the baby from flu infection for several months after birth, before the baby can be vaccinated.
- A 2017 study showed that flu vaccines can be life-saving in children.
- While some people who get vaccinated still get sick, flu vaccination has been shown in several studies to reduce the severity of illness.
- Why is it important to get a flu vaccine EVERY year?
Flu viruses are constantly changing, so flu vaccines may be updated from one season to the next to protect against the viruses that research suggests will be common during the upcoming flu season.
- Your protection from a flu vaccine declines over time.
- Yearly vaccination is needed for the best protection.